Saturday, August 19, 2006

You're right, I don't understand

In reference to the recent court decision that the government's wiretapping without getting warrants violated 2 constiutional amendments and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, President Bush said: "Those who herald this decision simply do not understand the nature of the world in which we live." (Source: cnn.com).

I have to admit it, President Bush. You are right. I don't understand the nature of the world in which we live.

I don't understand why our government allows someone to tack on an estate tax law onto a bill about minimum wage, thus causing the bill to fail to pass. I don't understand why we have a minimum wage that puts a family of four below the poverty line.

I don't understand why people are more concerned with flag burning and defining marriage than they are about education or poverty or disease.

I don't understand why people think the best solution to developing a third world country's economy is to bring in McDonald's. I don't understand why American companies are used to rebuild war torn countries, instead of letting the money stay inside their own economy which desperately needs it.

I don't understand how we can develop these miraculous drugs to cure and treat some of the worst diseases known to mankind, and then not share them with the people who need them most. I don't understand why universal health care is even a topic of debate, as opposed to a human right.

I don't understand why we are cheering for tax cuts for the wealthy, while at the same time we are raising interest rates on student loans.

I don't understand why we claim that as a whole we want to be more environmentally conscious and reduce our dependance on oil, but when large corporations complain that laws are too strict, the government backs off. I don't understand why a major world leader would not watch a movie about theories ofglobal warming Even if it turns out those theories are completely wrong, I don't understand why we would not encourage hearing different viewpoints.

I don't understand why we are trying to rid our government of the checks and balances that we were all taught about in elementary school that made our government so unique and so strong.

I don't understand why people resort to violence and destruction and death to civilians in order to make their point. But I also don't understand why people want to continue creating a world in which oppression and money create this hatred.

I am sincerely grateful that our government is devoting their time and resources to protecting us from horrific acts against us, and I do understand that we do not live in a perfect world. But I don't understand why President Bush feels the judge's ruling was incorrect. Does President Bush want to amend the 4th amendment to say that unreasonable search and seizure is illegal, unless a government official decides they want to do it because they think something bad is happening? Surely that way all of this misunderstanding would go away. Until President Bush can get this change to the 4th amendment through the proper channels, which I'm sure the population is eagerly awaiting, it might be worthwhile just to go through the process of getting warrants, just like our law intends people to do.

3 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand. I understand it only too well.

The party in power is concerned about one thing, and one thing only: Preserving and increasing the wealth of those individuals already orders of magnitude wealthier than the rest of the world. They are on a mission to destroy the middle class in America. Unless the poor and middle class vote these people out, it will only get worse.

If you have the time, and want to hear about the crimes committed against us by the current administration, take a listen to Thom Hartmann's Show.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, "mom" you can do more than "only hope", you know? You can choose to become more involved in the world we live in and make your own voice heard outside of the voter's ballot, which, in the case of the 2002 Presidential Election, is clearly corrupted anyway.

I'm not saying this meanly (which I add only because website comments lose a lot of speech nuance).

Everyone needs to to write letters. Leave voicemails for your congressional representatives. Start your own blog.

Hope is ephemeral. Action is concrete.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s article in Rolling Stone:

Was the 2004 Election Stolen?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home