Monday, April 09, 2007

juice fast

As part of the cleanse I'm doing, I did a 24-hour juice fast from Friday night 9PM til Saturday night 9PM.

A juice fast means that you are only supposed to intake fresh juices.

Saturday morning we made a lemon-lime-grapefruit juice. Then saturday afternoon we made a "green lemonade" with lemon, lime, apple, celery, carrots, ginger, and maybe something else I'm forgetting (we usually put in kale but were out).

We cheated a bit and had a "raw soup", which was a bunch of vegetables and vegetable broth thrown into a blender, and was actually quite tasty. We also drank a ton of tea throughout the day (augmented with flax seed and grapefruit seed extract).

At about 8:30PM I had half a banana, and then at 9PM dove into friday night's leftovers.

It was a difficult experience - there were times when I was very hungry, but those would usually pass. I don't think I've ever gone that long without eating before, so it was nice to know that the next time I am an hour late taking my lunch I won't actually die of starvation.

One thing I realized during this was that in the face of starvation, I would not hold on to being a vegetarian.

Another thing I often thought about was how certain religious groups do a fast every week. I wonder how that frequent fasting affects their health.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was spinach that we added to the Green Lemonade.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger TheseGoToEleven said...

What a juicy blog. ha. May you be cleansed to your hearts content. You, & most definitely this I, would not survive the Islamic fasting during the month long period of Ramadan each year. They cannot eat from sun up to sun down. I have a co-worker who is Muslim. Everyday when the call for going to lunch travels the cubeways he first says "yeah, I'm coming." But then he has to do a Doh! because he remembers he can't eat. Sometimes he goes just to hang though.

- J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home