Monday, October 02, 2006

The Tivo is back!

I lasted a week without Tivo... but I caved in to fixing it.

I decided to go a do-it-myself approach rather than pay Tivo $150 to fix it. I found a cheap hard drive on Craigslist, bought an installer program called Instant Cake, and now for half of the price of that Tivo would have charged me, I have a working Tivo with a much larger recording capacity (118 hours at best quality, 400+ hours at basic quality).

It was fairly easy to complete the setup, though you do have to be somewhat computer savy in order to follow the instructions.

I've read that some people experience problems with power and heat issues when installing their own hard drives, but I think that's mostly when you end up installing 2 hard drives, and I only installed 1. Hopefully this drive works out great for a long time!

3 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you upgrade my Series 2 to a Series 3 for $75? Thanks in advance.

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're leaving out the part of the story where you blamed me for the desintigration of our TiVo service and then proceeded to freak out about watching TV like a regular person while I calmly re-discovered reading as a pleasure.

Your ability to fix the sitcho on the cheap is to be commended though.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only assume that tivo wife must have moved the TiVo while it was actively spinning its disk, jarring the disk into a state of dysfunction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home