Saturday, October 07, 2006

Comedians

I was thinking the other day that being a stand-up comedian has got to be one of the most difficult careers to break into. Here in San Francisco, there are many bars and clubs that no-name bands can play at in hopes of making it big, but I think there are only 2 comedy clubs where a comedian can perform, and usually they are booked with touring performers (I'm sure there's some small bars that hold stand-up nights, but they certainly aren't advertised well).

I guess the reason that there's such limited opportunity for stand-ups is probably because there's actually very few good and unique comedy routines. Most of what you see is just not that funny, or is a rehash of someone else's material. But every once in awhile a gem comes through that gets the crowd laughing.

I think Chris Rock is pretty funny, as is Adam Sandler and Dave Chapelle. I thought Dane Cook's first SNL performance was horrible, but after a friend made me listen to some of his CDs, I've changed my opinion about him because I laughed a lot during his CDs.

I would say that my favorite comedian is currently Mitch Hedberg. Like too many other creative-types, Mitch died young and didn't reach his full potential (he died right before filming an HBO comedy special). I had the opportunity to see him twice. The first time was a free show at Stanford where Pauly Shore was the headliner. Mitch was so funny and Pauly so unfunny that half way through Pauly's set he commented on how he needs to get a mediocre opening act to make himself seem funnier. The second time I saw Mitch was at the Punchline in San Francisco. Like all comedians, his humor isn't for everyone. A lot of his jokes are transcribed here, but if you can't hear his delivery style in your head while you read them, they might not come off as that funny. The joke I always remember him telling on Dave Letterman is 'This guy asked me if I wanted a frozen banana and I said, "No ... but I would like a regular banana later, so ... yeah."'... his delivery of the lines was perfect.

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger TheseGoToEleven said...

Reminds me of the movie Punchline which was made in 1988. Info here -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095927

The user comments section has 1 comment which states:

"My father is a stand-up comic, and all I can say is that this film above most others shows comedians for what they truly are. Comedy is truly based out of pain, and the two main characters truly have a great deal of pain in their lives. All the actors give their performances more than two dimensions, and are truthful in what they are dong at all times. If your looking for a laugh out loud comedy, than you'll be greatly disappointed, this film is really about he drama of the life of people who are trying to make it in the entertainment business. As a closing statement, i have heard many comics who were around at the time of this picture say that Tom Hanks was one of the greatest comics that they had seen, and if he had not caught the acting bug first, that he would have been a great comic."

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Steven Wright for his low key monotone delivery and his off-the-wall one-liners.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home